Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WFMW- Substitute Yogurt for some of the Mayo in Summer Salads


I haven't been posting any Menu Plans since we've kind of just been flying by the seat of our pants. It's been kind of fun and we've yet to resort to eating out or take out, so we're doing okay. There was a last minute substitution yesterday- I intended to make meatloaf, but then I ended up napping instead of cooking, so we had a quick peccadillo instead.

Here's the easy recipe:

Cut up green pepper. Brown a pound of ground beef and green pepper in skillet over medium heat. Add can of black beans and can of tomatoes, preferably the kind with the jalapeno in them. Rotel tomatoes would probably be good if you live in the part of the country where they sell those. Heat 10 minutes more until everything comes together. Serve over rice with corn bread if you want. We didn't have any corn bread, or tomatoes with the jalapeno in them, so I added some red pepper flakes to the ground beef and it worked. The original recipe also calls for 1/2 cup golden raisins, but that just seems weird to me.

Okay, now that we're back from that little detour- it seems that I have been serving a lot of "salads" right about now, it being summer and all. My husband ADORES macaroni salad. I love that you can call something a salad when it contains about 1/8 a serving of vegetables, but alas, he assures me that pasta with a sprinkling of veggies does in fact count. We also eat a fair amount of coleslaw, and tonight I got adventurous with potato salad. I cringe when I think of the amout of mayonaise in these "salads", so I started subbing out 1/2 to 1/3 of the mayo called for in a recipe with plain yogurt- full fat plain yogurt, since that is what I have on hand to feed the baby, but even full fat yogurt is a TON better than the mayo. So far, he hasn't noticed and I feel slightly better that I've cut out at least a little bit of the fat and calories.

If you are interested, you can get the recipe I used for our potato salad here. I didn't use any green onion because we didn't have any. It was very good- I felt like it had a lot of layers of flavor that they are always talking about on the food network. It didn't involve as much chopping as I thought and I didn't peel the potatoes. Will be making this again, no question. I used 1/2 cup of light mayo and 1/4 cup yogurt with no problem. Hope you enjoy!

More WFMW Posts (Back to School Edition even!) at We Are THAT Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment