Monday, May 4, 2009

Why a blog?

My husband doesn't get blogs or blogging or FaceBook, and certainly not Twitter! Why would you want to read about people that you don't even know??

Here's my answer: you bloggy people, all of you out there, you're my village...

Stay with me...

Trent was my gateway drug. Trent writes a blog called The Simple Dollar. He writes about how he turned his financial situation completely around, is now out of debt, living simply and frugally. I have no idea how I stumbled across his blog, but I did. I read it at work on my phone when things were slow. I justified it as content relevant to my job, since I was in consumer lending and Trent writes about budgeting, credit scores, living within your means, etc. I was learning valuable new information to share with our clients! From Trent's site, I found all sorts of other blogs on all sorts of other things. Personal Finance blogs, sure, but also food blogs and parenting blogs. I was a new mom, and breast feeding, so I even found blogs from other breast feeding moms.

And then I discovered Google Reader! I had been visiting each site, checking for new posts several times a day... I didn't know that Google would put them all in one place for you. It changed my life. Seriously! :-) Once I got Google Reader, it was all over. I just kept subscribing. It was so easy! And you, you bloggy people, you became my village.

We all know that phrase, "It's takes a village to raise a child," right? I'm a huge believer in that. One person, or even two people, can't do it alone. It's too big a job to undertake without help of some sort. You need help. You need to know what gear to buy and on what not to waste your money. You need to know what to do when your child will not sleep at 4 am. You need to know that it's some version of NORMAL when your child does (insert weird behavior here). You need to know what to make for dinner when you're sick of eating the same 8 dishes in rotation. And most of all, you need to know that you are not alone. So I'm getting off the couch in our little village. Not just reading anymore, nope, going to put my own content out there and hopefully help someone else to handle whatever it is life is throwing at them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment