Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dinner Last Night- CrockPot Brown Sugar Chicken

I know that you were all waiting to see how I solved our chicken conundrum (haha!). We had Brown Sugar Chicken last night- mostly because I had all of the ingredients in the house. It was about 12:30 and I realized that if I didn't get something going soon, we were not going to be able to do the CrockPot thing. I cut the recipe in half since I only had about 6 chicken thighs in my package. I also used lime flavored seltzer water instead of lemon-lime soda, because that's what I had. I think that the flavor was just fine.

I served the chicken over rice and it was very good. It was not dry like last time. I skinned the chicken before I put it in the CrockPot and I pulled the chicken off the bones before I served it. In hindsight, I wish that I had left the chicken on the bone to serve, but my husband claimed not to like chicken thighs, so I was trying to disguise them. I also minced the garlic with a garlic press this time and that worked very well. Last time, I tried to chop the garlic and the pieces were just too big. This time, the garlic was in there, but you couldn't see it. Very good!

I was pleased with the cost of the recipe too. I am trying VERY hard to cut our grocery budget. I'm inspired by Erin at $5 Dinners and this post by Melissa. This dinner was under the $5 mark- chicken was $2.50 or so, rice about $0.15 and other ingredients negligible. Success for the night in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment