Monday, July 27, 2009

Garlic Beef Stroganoff- Crock Pot Recipe!

Menu Planning Monday- not happening lately... I have a general idea of what we're going to eat, but I've not been in the habit of getting everything down on paper. I wanted to share this recipe with you though- the first time I made it, I was still working. I left it to cook and my husband got home first, cooked the egg noodles and ate the meal. I got a text saying, "Wow babe, awesome dinner!" That's about the highest form of praise you get from my husband, and he doesn't hand it out lightly, so this is certified yummy! Of course today, I didn't get it into the crock til 2 pm, so I'm hoping that it will still be yummy cooked on high for less time, but that's okay!

Garlic Beef Stroganoff
(adapted from a Taste of Home Slow Cooker Book, I think):

  • 2 tsp beef bouillon granules
  • 1 cup boiling water (I use hot tap water)

  • 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (one of these days I'm going to be cool and make my own cream of soup, but today it was Campbells all the way!)
  • 1 can (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained (original recipe calls for 2 jars, but we are not big mushroom people, so I cut it back)
  • 1/2 JUMBO onion from Costco (original recipe calls for 1 large), chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

  • 1-1/2 to 2 lbs boneless round steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips (I've used several different kinds of been in this recipe, all with good results. Tonight it's round roast, cut into smallish pieces.)
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
  • Hot cooked egg noodles
In a slow cooker, dissolve bouillon in water. Add next 5 ingredients. In a skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to slow cooker. (I skipped this step today- just threw the meat in. The browning gives it good flavor, but this recipe has enough without it thanks to the Worcestershire sauce.) Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender. (I'm hoping 4 or so on high will do it... not sure since my meat was still a little frozen- easier to slice that way, BTW.) Stir in cream cheese until smooth. Serve over noodles. Yield: 6-8 Servings. (Not at my house- we get 1 daddy sized serving, 1 mommy sized serving and 1 lunch serving, usually...)

1 comment: